By Elaine Ryan
Give yourself piece of mind by treating hypochondria
The main goal of hypochondria treatment is to
- Reduce anxiety – to stop the physical symptoms you feel in your body (as these fuel your fears)
- Help you to understand and let go of your thoughts and worries relating to health concerns
- Reduce the need to seek reassurance
- Restore peace of mind
The program will help you to
Treat anxiety caused by health related worries
You will learn how to reduce the physical symptoms you feel in your body. This is necessary as the symptoms themselves become a source of concern and cause more worries.
If you do not feel any discomfort in your body, you will not be adding fuel to the fire, which result in worry that you have a serious illness that the medical profession have yet to find.
Let go of health related worries
The program will manage this in two ways
- You will use CBT techniques to help you understand how we can misinterpret physical symptoms in the body. You will also uncover the beliefs that you hold about yourself and your health that may be maintaining hypochondria. If you have not already done so, you can read more about CBT here.
- You shall learn mindfulness based stress reduction to help you “let go” of the thoughts that are fuelling your anxiety (and producing the symptoms you feel in your body.) More information on mindfulness.
Reduce the need for reassurance
Once you have successfully managed your symptoms and are practicing quieting your mind, you shall start to lose the need to ask for reassurance. Understanding exactly what is happening in your body and mind that results in health anxiety will negate the need for reassurance.
Restore peace of mind
By the end of the program if your physical symptoms have reduced and you fully understand the cause of health anxiety, your thought processes will not be preoccupied by unnecessary health worries
Find Elaine on: Google + Twitter FaceBook